01773 766 007 sales@stag.com
Quote Me Client Login Build Your Own Activities Destinations Get in Touch

The Stagcom 5th December Round Up

As far as excitement goes in the sporting world, this weekend had it all. No more so than in the Premier League and FA Cup where there were a glut of goals and incidents to talk about!

If you were unable to keep on top of it over the weekend due to Christmas parties and shopping, allow us to fill in the pieces in our weekend round up.

Crazy Premier League

It all seemed to happen this weekend in the Premier League, beginning with Chelsea's 3-1 win over Manchester City at Saturday lunchtime.

City looked in control in the first-half and led at the break after an own goal from Gary Cahill. Kevin de Bruyne then missed an open goal to make the game 2-0, which seemed to swing the momentum in Chelsea's favour. Minutes later, Diego Costa levelled the match and then Willian put the visitors ahead shortly after.

Eden Hazard put the game beyond doubt after finishing a swift counter attack on the 90 minute mark. The game then ended in chaos; Sergio Aguero received a red card for a horrific challenge on David Luiz and the scuffle that followed led to Fernandinho seeing red as well. Chelsea now sit three points clear at the top of the Premier League after their eighth successive win!

Arsenal moved up to second with a 5-1 demolition of West Ham at the London Stadium. Alexis Sanchez scored an impressive hat-trick; with Mesut Ozil and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain grabbing a goal each. Andy Carroll scored a consolation for the Hammers.

Liverpool slipped down to third after an incredible game at the Vitality Stadium where Bournemouth came out 4-3 winners. Sadio Mane and Divock Origi gave Liverpool a 2-0 lead at the break. Callum Wilson reduced the lead with a penalty but when Emre Can scored just after the hour mark it looked to be game over.

With 15 minutes remaining, Ryan Fraser brought it back to 3-2 and just two minutes later Steve Cook made it 3-3. There was still another shock to come as Nathan Ake grabbed a winner deep into injury time!

FA Cup Drama

Remarkably, there was an even greater comeback in the second round of the FA Cup yesterday afternoon. National League North side Curzon Ashton surrendered a three-goal lead against AFC Wimbledon as the game ended 4-3 to the Dons.

Adam Morgan had put the non-league side in cruise control with an impressive hat-trick. They held the 3-0 lead until the 80th minute when the Dons scored three goals in three minutes, through; Tom Elliott, Dominic Poleon and Tyrone Barnett. It looked as though the tie would require a replay until Elliott popped up with his second in injury time to ensure there was no FA Cup shock.

Record Equalled

England equalled their record of 14 consecutive Test victories after defeating Australia 37-21 at Twickenham on Saturday.

Australia certainly made England work for their victory and went ahead early on after Sefanaia Naivalu scored a try and had a further two ruled out! Jonathan Joseph scored England's first try, but two penalties from Bernard Foley gave Australia a deserved half-time lead.

England were much improved in the second-half and added further tries through Marland Yarde, Ben Youngs and Joseph for a comfortable win in the end.

Woods Returns

We wouldn't normally mention a 15th placed finish at a tournament, but that is where Tiger Woods finished at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas.

It was an impressive finish for Woods considering the 14-time major winner had been out for the last 18 months with injury. It could have been even better for Woods had he not hit an inconsistent four-over-par final round.

Woods looked free of the knee and back pain that had troubled him for so long before his long lay-off, so could this be the beginning of Woods' return to the top of the game?

Image credits: Goal, Football 365, The Mirror, PGA Tour, England Rugby

Back to articles Date Posted: Monday 5th December 2016 Author: George Crewe